Our partner is operating in more than 100 countries with over 13,000 employees and revenues in excess of €1.4 billion, one of the world's leading market research companies with customers in industries ranging from consumer goods, fashion and retail, media and technology to vehicle manufacturing.
To support the vision of the company’s technology infrastructure, from the datacentre to the desktop, is being completely transformed. The company is investing in cutting edge private and public cloud technologies which to host customer-facing products as well as deploying best in class SaaS enterprise applications.
The Senior Linux Server Engineer’s role is to design, install, manage, monitor and decommission Linux servers across the enterprise while ensuring high levels of availability. This person is also responsible for defining standards and models for server management, as well as developing, implementing and overseeing policies and procedures to ensure the integrity and availability of servers and associated software.
Design & Planning
- Plan, design, and proactively develop server platforms to help support cross-organization systems;
- Lead and participate in the installation, monitoring, maintenance, support, and optimization of all server hardware and software;
- Design and implement redundant systems, policies, and procedures for disaster recovery to ensure effective availability, protection, and integrity of server infrastructure;
- Work with key stakeholders to plan and implement upgrades as required;
- Mentor and provide leadership to junior members of the team
- Configure and maintain server platforms to ensure reliable operations;
- Develop, implement, and maintain change control and testing processes for modifications to servers;
- Manage server, operating system and application patching - perform appropriate regular and timely patch management for server Infrastructure;
- Manage server performance monitoring, providing KPI statistics and reporting as required by senior management, as well as performing problem troubleshooting to quickly restore service to the business whenever issues arise;
- Create and maintain full documentation relating to physical and virtual server configurations and service records (include defining server policies and processes;
- Provide effective, appropriate and timely communication as appropriate.
- Mentor and provide leadership to junior members of the team.
- Strong Linux system administration experience;
- Strong scripting skillsand an understanding of Infrastructure as Code: Design and security, configuration management, integration, deployment, performance monitoring and tuning, automation of infrastructure;
- Strong understanding of server security best practices;
- Experience with templates and other configurable items to enable automation;
- Strong knowledge of automation and configuration management technologies e.g. Hudson and Jenkins;
- Familiarity with deployment techniques (and tools) in a distributed environment;
- Strong knowledge of monitoring tools such as Nagios, RRD, Cacti, etc.;
- Basic understanding of relational and non-relational databases;
- Familiarity with messaging and queuing services;
- Strong analytical skills, able to investigate faults and determine root cause issues;
- Strong customer service orientation;
- Strong documentation authoring skills;
- Ability to effectively priorities and execute tasks in high-pressure situations;
- Ability to present complex technical information to non-technical audiences.
- Minimum of 5 years’ experience as a Linux server engineer in large (1,000+ users) multi-site environments, commissioning and administering physical and virtual servers;
- Minimum of 3 years’ experience as a senior Linux server engineer;
- Extensive experience working in a web operations supporting public facing, mission critical websites;
- Strong experience of supporting of web hosting environments based on Linux;
- Experience of working with an agile development team and familiarity with the agile development framework.
- Experience with building custom RPMs;
- Experience identifying performance issues and optimizing web applications;
- Experience of installation, maintenance, and administration of continuous integration servers and build artefact repositories;
- Experience working in a team-oriented, collaborative environment;
- Experience building and maintaining strong working relationships with other technical teams, including internal infrastructure teams and external service providers, vendors and partners;
- Experience mentoring and providing leadership to junior team members.
- Valid Red Hat Certified Engineer (RHCE) minimum.